PUSHPIN ART BY ERIC DAIGH(18 PICS)

















michigan-based portraitist eric daigh has broadened his 'pushpin' series with two new pieces entitled 'mayday' and 'throwing blankets'.
the artist creates large-scale artworks, often depicting faces, using thousands of meticulously arranged colored tacks as the chief medium.
the pieces are generated to achieve shading, toning and depth reminiscent to that of a photograph, however, this can only be seen in a
clearer resolution when viewing the work from further away, as each pin acts much as pixel would.

daigh's philosophy behind each piece is a reflection on his understanding of identity:

'in my work I aim to explore themes of individuality and representation. my subjects are imprisoned, diluted, marginalized.
their escape, however, is imminent.whether a symptom of corporate and social homogenization, or the four base pairs of DNA,
we are products of just a small handful of variables. in five colors of plastic, you can be reproduced.

I enjoy very much making something digital with my hands. I enjoy making work that requires a physical proximity.
I enjoy the fact that this work travels from the intangible, the binary, to the tactile, the singular.
by invoking these mediums,
I hope to generate a dialogue and sentiment that has something to do with the effort, repetition, focus, discipline, absurdity,
and love that went into its making.'

Comments